Treat Your Dog Right This Halloween
Halloween can be a scary time for dogs. The danger lurks in your child’s treat basket and the candy bowls we leave out. So we will look at what you need to keep away from your pet and a better alternative!
Chocolate–The Darker It Is, the More Toxic It Is to Dogs
The dangerous ingredients in chocolate are methylxanthines (called theobromine) and caffeine. Here are a few types of chocolate listed in order of theobromine content:
- Cocoa powder (most toxic)
- Unsweetened baker’s chocolate
- Semisweet chocolate
- Dark chocolate
- Milk chocolate
Symptoms of Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs
Ingesting a small amount of chocolate, such as 1-2 mini candy bars, can cause symptoms such as:
The symptoms usually appear within 6 to 12 hours after your dog eats chocolate and can last up to 72 hours.
If your dog eats a lot of chocolate, symptoms may include a:
- Racing Heart Rate
- Abnormal Heart Rhythm
- Very high Blood Pressure
Severe poisoning may cause:
- Rarely, Death
A very concerning chocolate dose is about one ounce of milk chocolate per pound of body weight. An average Hershey’s Milk Chocolate bar is 1.55 ounces. So, consuming even one chocolate bar can have serious consequences, especially for small dogs.
What to Do if Your Dog Has Ingested Chocolate
If you believe your dog ate chocolate, call your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline (855-213-6680) for advice. It is helpful to know how much and what type of chocolate your pet has consumed so they can assess the risk to your dog.
Raisins and Grapes are No Good For Dogs
The interesting thing about raisin/grape toxicity is that it doesn’t affect all dogs. But, it takes very little to cause kidney failure, so you don’t want to take the risk of your dog getting ahold of nature’s candy.
Symptoms of Raisin/Grape Toxicity in Dogs
Symptoms of toxicity appear within 6-12 hours and include:
- Abdominal Pain
- Tremors (Shivering)
Treatment for Raisin/Grape Toxicity in Dogs
You can induce vomiting by giving your dog a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide. Mixing the peroxide with ice cream will make swallowing easier for your dog. Take your dog on a walk for 15 minutes. The activity will help induce vomiting.
If your dog does not vomit within 30 minutes, do NOT give her more hydrogen peroxide.
Oliguric or anuric renal failure develops within 24–72 hours of exposure; once anuric renal failure develops, most dogs die or are euthanized.
Sugar-Free Candy Isn’t Danger-Free
Xylitol is a sugar alcohol used to sweeten sugar-free products such as gums, candies, peanut butter, and baked goods; It is also used in non-food products like toothpaste, mouthwash, medications, and more. Dogs are the only domestic species in which xylitol toxicosis has been reported;
Ingesting xylitol or xylitol-containing products by dogs can result in hypoglycemia, even injury to, or failure of, the liver.
Symptoms of Xylitol Toxicosis
Signs of hypoglycemia can develop anywhere from within 30 minutes of ingesting xylitol to 12–18 hours later if the xylitol is in a substrate that slows its absorption (e.g., some gum products).
Symptoms of hypoglycemia include:
Not all dogs that develop xylitol-induced liver injury develop hypoglycemia.
Treatment should be performed under veterinary supervision. If you are ever unsure, please call your animal care provider.
A Better Treat for Your Dog
We have a treat for your dog. No matter their age or size, they can benefit from Elk Velvet Antler. A great introduction to these products is with our baskets. They come with great options like:
- An Antler Chew sized appropriately for your dog,
- Wapiti Labs Poop Bag Dispenser and Poop Bags
- Collapsible Bowl
- Custom Greeting Card
- The Wapiti Labs Supplement that works for your four-legged friend